Avaz – AAC App for Autism (Augmentative Picture Communication Software for Children with Special Needs), by Invention Labs, is an affordable AAC app with thousands of words and picture symbols, which is available for IOS and Android.
AVAZ has many features and is easy to ‘program’. I found adding categories and items to be quick and painless! Removing (deleting) them is just as fast…..and let’s face it, an AAC app that can be programmed quickly is one that you want to have! In fact, in just a matter of minutes, I added a category for ‘apps’ along with the student’s favorites.
NOTE: You will want to have two iPads if you are making an app category so that the student continues to have access to their voice on the device housing the AVAZ for Autism App.
- Pre-programmed with 5 category folders; Quick, Core Words, Getting Started, Basic (1), and Advanced (2)
- Color Coding based on the Fitzgerald Key
- A nice help screen for the visual learner/therapist/parent
- Alert Button to bring attention to the user
- Mistake Button – for user self-correction
- 15,000 built-in symbols
- Ability to add categories and vocabulary with custom pictures
- Voice choices (male, female, child) with ability to record your own
- Keyboard feature that is easily switched to from the picture mode
- Zoom feature that adds additional reinforcement when cell is selected
- Session tracking ability
- Ability to send messages via Facebook or Twitter to others
- Return to core words with the easy shortcut button on the sidebar
- Comprehensive settings that include; tips, adjustment of cell number (1-24), caption size, high contrast (black background), starting screen choice, and much more
AVAZ is ready to use right from the get go and will allow the user to immediately have a voice. This AAC app is flexible and functional for those that need assistance with their communication. This is a must have app for facilitating communication for people of all ages and levels of cognition.
screen shot shown with a high contrast (black) background
AVAZ for Autism is Awesome, has Variety, is Applicable and will add Zeal to the user’s communication!
About the Author
Jackie Bryla is a school based SLPA in California. Her experience includes working with transitional kindergarten through high school age students as well as the functional skills population in the public schools. She regularly presents iPad Training for California State University Sacramento, American River College, and San Joaquin Delta College speech and language programs. Jackie is also the founder of Act – Apps, Consulting, and Training. She is an app beta tester for educational app developers. Jackie is a board member of the California Speech-Language-Hearing Association (CSHA) and is an active CSHA District 2 Advisory Committee member in the Sacramento area. Jackie received the outstanding SLPA for CSHA in 2012.