Fun on the Farm by Kindermatica (ages 5 and under) is jam packed with games that will get kids together in a flash. The graphics make this app kid friendly, but most of all fun for small groups and families! Classrooms and clinics can use it to team up peers to facilitate interaction and social skills, or families can use Fun on the Farm for sibling play or game night. The app is a winner in our books, and includes 5 games:
- A Speed Matching game, pitting you against an opponent to see who can match the random card in play. This is a great game for beginning game players to teach visual scanning and enhance working memory. The instructions are simple and the game is quick to play. This ensures attention which can gradually be lengthened by rounds of play.
- In Dominoes, choosing between 4 different categories ups the ante and levels of difficulty in creating a maze where the end pieces match. It’s a little more challenging then Speed Matching, and will deliver just the right challenge once the Speed Matching game is mastered.
- Air Hockey, the classic game of visual motor integration, helps kids learn to visually target and predict an outcome by moving your blocker. Love that this game also has a gradation of time/points to select from as this helps kids gradually learn to attend longer.
- The Counting Board Game teaches little ones about both positive and negative numbers as well as learning to count via a 1:1 correspondence to the next square that’s designated on the spinner. Little one’s LOVE spinners and they are always thrilling in seeing what comes up. Making your way through the board to the end lands you a gift! I love the fact that negative numbers (-1) are introduced in a casual gaming format as it plants seeds for future use.
- The Tile game is a strategy game of claiming color tiles. This is problem-solving and the ability to strategize at it’s earliest and fun to boot!
Kindermatica is dedicated to family friendly games and educational apps. Fun on the Farm can be used to help build cohesion amongst kids and challenges for using strategy, sequencing moves, and building both attention and memory. It’s a TWA Top Pick for its endless possibilities in shaping and achieving social behaviors.
Jo Booth OTR/L has been an Occupational Therapist for over 35 years, and currently practices at EasterSeals of SEPA, Montgomery County Division mainly focusing in Early Intervention. It is an APS (Approved Private School) and home outreach based setting. She has also worked in Adolescent and Adult Rehabilitation. Writing reviews for Teachers With Apps has been a tremendous opportunity and experience to share and learn with others.