Science360 for iPad is just what every classroom needs to cover a gamut of scientific topics or projects in a visually stunning way.
This app, by Knowledge Network and sponsored by the National Science Foundation, is eye candy, but not just a pretty face. It covers a wide variety of science, nature, space, and engineering topics, presented in videos, photos, and text. Now that the iPad has made its entrance into the classroom many teachers are looking for visuals and snippets of video to supplement their programs; Science360 is perfectly tailored to meet these needs. The app provides users access to hundreds of hi-resolution images and videos running the gamut of STEM topics. The NSF curates all of the content, which is accompanied by a date, brief description, and citation. When you open this a app a grid of thumbnail images and videos related to NSF projects appears. You randomly scroll up, down, and all around, then tap and you have instant access through your wifi to an incredible scientific library. A perfect app to mirror from your SmartBoard. Unfortunately, Science360 does not have an index and we were initially deterred by this. Nevertheless, teachers, especially science teachers, are in for a spectacular treat. Kids love the site and it is a great way to draw students into this world of STEM. Older kids can explore it independently and its a fabulous way for parents and younger children to learn about science together. It covers big, theoretical research and cutting edge projects… and the fact that it’s updated regularly makes Science360 a must have app!
The National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Science360 for iPad provides easy access to engaging science and engineering images and video from around the globe and a news feed featuring breaking news from NSF-funded institutions. Content is either produced by NSF or gathered from scientists, colleges and universities, and NSF science and engineering centers.
– Spectacular images from NSF-funded institutions available in high resolution for download to your iPad
– Fun and engaging streaming video (WiFi or 3G connection required) on a wide range of topics
– Hundreds of images and videos to experience, with new content added weekly
– Share images and videos on Facebook and Twitter or via email
– Keep abreast of breaking stories in scientific discovery as they happen with the in-app news feed
– Pan through content in the unique 360 view or find content via keyword with a simple two finger touch
– With a single touch, save favorite images and video within the app so that they can easily be found again