Vito Technology today is proud to announce a major upgrade to their original Star Walk app – the augmented reality stargazing guide for spotting over 200,000 stars, planets, constellations, satellites and galaxies in the night sky. The new version adds support for iOS 8 and a new stargazing widget that tells users about the upcoming visible celestial events with respect to user’s location, current phase of the moon, time of sunset and sunrise, and even alerts to the closest iridium flares.
One tap on an upcoming event in the widget’s list will open the app on the date, time and correct location of the object on the sky. All you have to do is follow the arrows and the app will indicate the direction to look in order to see the chosen event.
Star Walk is a handy astronomy guide that shows celestial objects (stars, constellations, satellites, etc.) in the exact positions on the sky above you, providing comprehensive information about them. It helps anyone even remotely interested in astronomy find their way across the sky, determine where to look for any chosen object, rewind or fast-forward time to see how celestial bodies move. It inspires curiosity about the Universe and helps understand amazing cosmic phenomena.
The widget of the celestial events is a great add-on for iOS 8 devices that lets the people be aware of the upcoming events and have the info at their fingertips. By tapping the event on the widget you can open up Star Walk, go to Calendar section and set a reminder for the event in the original iCal app.
The iridium flares are now in the widget as well. Iridium flares are the reflections of sunlight caught by Iridium communication satellites orbiting the Earth. They happen as the satellite turns to a specific angle to the Sun and the viewer on the ground and these position can be calculated allowing Star Walk users to see the flares. The widget will inform you on the coming Iridium flares that can be seen from your location. Together with the new features the version brings full iOS 8 support and works great on latest devices.
* Augmented Reality
* Star Spotter – real time motion tracking tells you what stars are above you in the sky
* Satellites Tracking – never miss ISS flying over your head again
* Comet Tracking – find ISON, PANSTARRS, Halley, and Lemmon
* Time Machine – see what the sky looks like at any moment in the past or future
* Calendar of Celestial Events: plan stargazing without leaving your favorite app
* Picture of the Day – stunning pictures from deep space
* Night Mode – preserve your dark vision to see more stars
* Search – wondering where Jupiter is right now? Arrow will guide you to it
* Big Screen – connect a second display to view the sky on a big screen
* AirPrint, Moon Phases, Info, View from any location, TelRad, Sharing, Bookmarks, and more
* No internet connection required
* English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish
* iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 6.0 or later (supports iOS 8)
* 63.7 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Star Walk – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide 7.0.4 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Star Walk for iPad – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide is also available for $2.99.
Based in Alexandria, Virginia, Vito Technology Inc. is headed by CEO Victor Toporkov and has developed an impressive portfolio of products for Windows Mobile since it entered the mobile software market in 2001. The company’s latest endeavors include iOS and Web 2.0 software development. Vito Technology won an Apple Design Award in 2010 for its Star Walk for iPad app. The company consists of two departments: Research & Development Department and Marketing Department with 30 employees in total. Copyright (C) 2014 Vito Technology Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.