Word Wheel: Short Vowels, by Teknos Interactive, is a super simple app that fills a void when it comes to finding phonemic awareness games in the app store. Word Wheel is set up to follow the rules of a short vowel or CVC words (consonant vowel consonant) like a hat, dot, get. Blends are added to extend the learning (sl, st, fr, gr,) and assist with decoding or “sounding out” more words.
Any preschooler through the first grader could benefit from playing this no-frills app. Kids historically do better and become better readers than their peers, who missed out on the concept, when they get a strong phonetic foundation early on.
Children will need some guidance as some of the words may be new to them, (eg: spud and trot) adding a great opportunity to work with your child or student to expand vocabulary skills as well. Additionally, there is a quiz mode and a drawing game for youngsters to enjoy. We would like to see an option added to remove the picture clue to challenge students as they progress.
– 170 words consisting of over 30 vowel combination groups
– Colorful and kid friendly artwork for each word
– Word pronunciations by an actual person
– Progress is recorded as children are challenged to earn stars and master words.
– Guided Mode allows stars to be awarded manually
– Customizable quiz length
– Choose between upper case, lower case, or mixed case letters
– Fully mastered words can be hidden to assist concentration on remaining words
– A fun drawing activity is offered after each quiz or 5 minutes of interaction in Pick a Vowel or View All Words