10 Apps to Enhance Classroom Learning
In this golden age of educational apps, technology has transformed the classroom. No one can deny the fact that these electronic gadgets offer unique learning opportunities to students from greater classroom engagement to an extensive learning environment outside the school. Recently the majority of the schools have continued to integrate technology into classrooms, but one thing worth mentioning here is that the hardware is only one part of the puzzle; teachers also need the right array of apps to inspire young minds.
Applications make learning easy as well as an interactive and fun activity. We have found the best apps for the teachers that can help them to enhance the classroom learning experience, as well as these apps, can improve their own teaching methodology and productivity. In today’s digital classrooms, apps have myriad uses and functionality. From lesson plans to attendance, behavior records to communicate with students and parents, this list of 10 apps will enable you to leverage technology.
Teachers can turn a boring lesson into a game to inspire and engage their students. Kahoot helps you transform your classroom into a game show to enhance the learning environment. All you need to do is enter your prepared questions and answers into the website to develop an instantly playable interesting game. You can then download Kahoot on their devices. It is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Interestingly, this app tracks every student’s progress individually by providing a bar graph of student answers. This way, it facilitates the teachers to plan an educative action. You can also create timed quizzes that are more interactive than traditional Google Forms.
- Collaboration with other teachers in your school
- Saving precious finding learning activities and games
- The Folder feature ensure better organizing
- Advanced game creation tools
- Track student progress, step up formative assessment and improve learning outcomes
- Engage school admins to share Kahoots and reports
- Customize Kahoots with school logo
Similar to Kahoot, this app enables teachers to make quizzes to assess student learning and understanding of a particular concept or topic. You can also choose any quiz created by teachers from Quizizz’s library. Teachers can opt between flashcards and quizzes based on the required learning process. Questions appear on each student’s screen, so they can respond to these questions and can review their answers before submission. Its BYOD support makes it worth mentioning in the best apps to enhance classroom learning. It is compatible with PCs, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Furthermore, it tracks students’ progress and scores and enables teachers to assess comprehension across a class. Its reports facilitate teachers by giving detailed class- and student-level insights for every quiz. These reports can be easily downloaded as excel sheets. This way, it makes classroom management and assessment tasks easier for teachers by saving their time.
- Choose from thousands of free quizzes (created by teachers) or create your own
- Play a live game in the classroom or use Homework mode
- Put feedback to work; no grading required
- Save time using interactive tools
With this app, teachers can make and organize collections of materials. It is a free curator tool that enables you to save, organize, and share interesting content from the web. Photos, web pages, podcasts, and many other things can be structured as a public or private collection. Curation has become one of the essential tools, considering the amount of information we encounter daily on the World Wide Web. With the help of Wakelet app, you can help students to develop essential research skills and achieve learning goals. Thus, you can demonstrate student learning and let them share their own creative ideas.
- Present students a collection of hand-pick sites for researching a project or teacher-curated resources to practice a skill
- Ask students to curate collections to gather resources on a particular topic
- Students’ digital portfolios can be used for assessment purposes, self-reflection, or as a digital CV
- Share any idea or fictional story with the help of creative images
- Meet students’ differentiated learning needs with curated resources
- Empower communities with a dynamic class or school newsletter
The edX app integrates lessons from different universities in the world. In 2012, it was launched by Harvard University and MIT to serve as an online learning service. It offers lessons and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) in different subjects, including science, English, electronics, and many more. Teachers can easily stream and download videos to share in the classroom. Or students can even access these videos through their own iPhone or Android devices. Teachers can engage students effectively in the classrooms through these interactive videos and then assess their learning capabilities by offering a question and answer session. Teachers can even use these resources to develop and enhance their own understanding of different topics.
- Hundreds of courses from the world’s best institutes
- Stream and download videos at your convenience or save videos to share them with students
- Explore ways to blend educational technology with traditional classroom learning
- Provides quality content for both teachers and students
Every parent wants to stay in touch with the progress of their kids. They want to celebrate their kids’ achievements and help them at every step of the learning process. Therefore, it is very important to keep them in the loop throughout the learning process. With this app, students can store and share their best work with their parents. On the other hand, teachers can use it to enhance classroom learning by sharing concrete examples of their students’ learning powers and highlighting the areas for improvement. In this way, it helps teachers to differentiate instructions to meet the needs of all students. It is compatible with Android and iOS devices. It is the best platform that enables teachers to engage students in interactive learning. It assists students by providing them powerful learning tools like drawings, voice recordings, videos, and more.
- Empower students to demonstrate and share learning
- Student portfolios, informative resources, and family communication all at one platform
- Creative thinking opportunities for all students in different subjects
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of students for improvement in real-time
- Connect parents to share student work and progress
- Get creative and inspirational ideas for classroom engagement
This is another powerful app that enables teachers to communicate with students and their parents in real-time. With this app, teachers can make class announcements, initiate group discussions, or contact any student individually. Interestingly, chats and files shared through Remind can be translated into more than 90 languages. In this way, teachers can share resource materials with all students from a single platform. Remind is also functional with both Android and iOS devices. It is simple to use and helps teachers to engage students actively for educational learning.
- Two-way messaging
- Activate engagement to bring meaningful interaction to every classroom
- Send messages and important announcements that students/parents can’t miss
- Stay on top with all information regarding assignments, assessments, and other activities
This learning app provides educational instructions regarding reading, writing, and math problems. Besides, it records student progress that helps teachers to differentiate instructions to deal with each student's individual problems. On the other hand, it assists teachers to improve classroom learning by providing them thousands of questions to ask for each particular subject. IXL app is compatible with Android and iOS devices. It offers interactive learning opportunities by providing drag-and-drop questions, graphing tools, and more. It also offers handwriting recognition and a scratchpad feature that enables students to work through problems right on the screen. So teachers can ask students to work on a particular problem in the classroom and analyze their progress through IXL Analytics.
- Provides content to support more than 8,000 skills covering five subjects
- Highlights what students know and exactly what to do to improve their learning
- Recommends skills for each student depending on their knowledge gap
- Provides real-time insights to help you make instructional decisions
Flipgrid is an interesting formative assessment tool that allows teachers to pose a question, and students can record their answers. This app is extensively used by teachers to engage students in discussion topics to enhance classroom learning. Students can also make presentations and interactive learning videos here. Teachers and students can create grids about different topics and encourage fellows and even people around the world to record a short video regarding that particular topic. You can assign topics to each student as homework assignments and then continue the conversation in the class the next day to improve their skills. In fact, you can ask students to post a review at the end of a unit to reflect on what they have learned so far.
- Customizable video responses encourage students to plan their answers and speak thoughtfully
- Teachers can design topics with specialized resources and attachments
- Easy-to-use recording tools
Students can use their phone camera to take pictures of a math problem to get a step-by-step explanation on how to solve it. It makes math easy to understand. Teachers can use this app to improve the mathematical learning of students. They can ask them not to understand what the right answer is, but why it is the right answer. Of course, there are some caveats to using this app. Like students could use it during exams for cheating purpose. So you can use a student monitoring app like Xnspy for schools to supervise all the activities of the students on their smartphones, or simply you can block access to the app or website during exams hours.
- Scan a math problem for instant help
- Provides step-by-step explanations
- Assists with animated calculation steps
With this app, students can learn over 30 languages. They can use it in the classroom, home, or on-the-go. Teachers can use it as a primary instructional tool to reinforce language lessons. This is a free app to learn languages compatible with Android and iOS devices. Teachers can use this app as a learning companion for their classrooms. Its advanced lessons provide each student with customized feedback and practice, preparing them to get the most out of the classroom instructions. Through the Duolingo dashboard, teachers can track the progress of each student from a single platform.
- Learning a new language is fun and addictive
- Bite-size lessons are very effective
- Offers personalized learning, immediate grading, and rewards for good performance