- 30 Reasons WHY Tech Benefits Students
Technology is changing everything we do and how we do it, it is literally everywhere, intertwined into every part of our culture. It affects how we live, work, play, and most importantly learn.
There is no denying that technology has made its way into the education sector and is changing the rules of the game. Our schools have been designed by an outdated method of grouping of students—grouping them together by age and assembling them in classes of roughly twenty. Research in cognitive science suggests that this isn’t an ideal approach.
The students of today are moving away from being passive recipients of content to becoming what is called active participants, making learning experiences more student-driven. The future of learning is all about enabling learning anywhere by improving access and increasing collaboration, both locally and globally. Technology is the ultimate enabler being more interactive by nature. Technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, and gamification are beginning to be more so accepted in the learning landscape. The following list came about when I was asked by a new startup what makes technology so pertinent in this day and age, What would you add to this list?
- Motivating & engaging
- Dig Deeper
- Fosters creativity
- Multi-modality w/ multi-media
- Puts students in the driver's seat
- Expand horizons
- Virtual field trips
- Video conferencing with authors
- Virtual penpals
- Enhance research skills
- Encourage active participation in the classroom (even if not vocally)
- Individualized which can accelerate learning
- Self-paced, learn at their own pace
- Remediation classes available
- Improves knowledge retention
- Bring classroom home
- Interest aligned, personalize learning, student preferences
- Prepare our students for this ever-changing world that we live in
- Don’t have to reinvent the wheel
- Access real-time scores
- Automate grading and collection of data, assessments
- Aggregate data
- Find free materials
- Publish and present student work
- Give students an authentic audience
- Turn review into a game
- Prepare students to enter the workforce
Proper technology integration guides students toward a greater comprehension of concepts and has proved to have a profound impact with reluctant learner outcomes. The Internet gives students instant access to answers way beyond what is in their textbooks. Tech tools will never replace the teacher, instead, enabling guided instruction is paramount.