How to make an educational app ~ A guide to educational app creation
Being the main source of information, the Internet has now reached that stage of its development, when only scrupulous, accurate approach to channels of this information can save the humanity from informational collapse. Almost anything people do, they now can do online. Smartphones gave people the new experience. Today, there are apps for nearly all activities of people’s lives.
However, the actual power of world wide web lies in sharing the knowledge. And it is about to be used to its fullest. With a popularity of mobile apps, alongside with games and business apps, users’ interest has now turned to educational and learning apps. The market is eventually filling with educational apps for different purposes. Apps for kids, students, their parents, and teachers. In this article, we will cover the main aspects of the educational app development process at IDAP Group.
Research the environment ~ Types of educational apps
Converting class lessons, language learning lessons and other educational programs into convenient mobile form seems to be an excellent way to reach students. Educational courses owners, colleges, and high schools can also benefit from this growing tendency and create their learning apps for mobile platforms. There is still enough space for educational and learning apps for both teachers and students. Here is a brief overview of the existing learning apps available on the market.
- Interactive Encyclopedias/eBooks Usually developed for small learners. Kids can watch videos and images, read stories, explore topics of interests of play mini-games or quizzes within the app.
- Puzzles and games Meant for different age students as a fun way to improve memory, vocabulary, grammar, spelling and other skills
- Workbooks/Worksheets Designed for kids or grown-up learners as an additional help for home practice. Might also be projected on the whiteboard during class work.
- Classroom apps Apps developed to be used during school classes.
- Courseware Software designed for individual learning courses as a part of the teaching strategy.
- Assessment software Used as an independent tool or in conjunction with other types of educational software for students testing.
- Reference software Books, dictionaries, and encyclopedias.
- Other educational apps All other apps designed as a part of particular educational programs for teachers, medical workers, and employees from different industries.
Educational apps can combine different techniques and strategies for better user experience and general results.
Educational app functionality
Most popular Apple App Store categories in October 2017, by share of available apps
According to Statista research, the educational mobile apps are the third most frequently downloaded apps on the smartphones after business and games apps. Educational software designed properly can be a great substitute for boring lectures and monotonous lessons. Educational apps give another brand new experience in learning and memorizing process, providing a better explanation of various topics, more informative content with interactive components.
Depending upon the functionality, the process of learning can turn into a fun and exciting game. The list of features for educational apps can include many things. However, the more does not mean the better in this case. “The better” would be concentrating on the particular app purpose and providing the user with the essential feature list to achieve the set goals. So, here is the feature list of some abstract educational app, some might be added, some excluded.
- User authentification Create the new profile or log in with the existing one. Can be integrated with the social networks to simplify the login. A dashboard with personal preferences and settings.
- Social media integration Comes out from the previous feature and can be used for sharing information about the upcoming examinations, test, and other important events.
- Powerful database Believe it or not but creating a plain app is not enough. Your app should contain relevant knowledge from reliable sources uploaded to your database. The last should be updated on a regular basis with the latest relevant materials.
- Ability to work in offline mode comes out from the previous feature.
- Cloud integration Comes out from two previous features. Ability to store the learning materials not only locally on the smartphone but also using the cloud service can vary the learning materials with video content.
- Planning and scheduling Would be nice to get a reminder when your current learning period is about to end, or you have three days left to prepare for the test.
- Surveys and tests come out from the previous feature. Ability to track the progress is an inherent part of any studying.
- Test and practice on various topics Preparation for serious examinations or tracking the individual progress is impossible without regular exercise. So, a wide range of activities for self-testing is a must.
- Leaderboards and achievements A healthy competition creates an inspiring atmosphere that motivates other students to show better results.
- Live streaming sessions with tutors Interaction with teachers is helpful for students, especially during distant learning. Live tutorials help in forming an atmosphere of a classroom, giving the students the feeling of unity.
Educational apps development. Lessons to learn
Plan your app as much time as possible to avoid lots of mistakes in future. Hire a team and start with one of the most important parts of creating any new project UI/UX. It should be intuitive, clear and not overwhelmed with design elements.
Do not try to implement the full functionality at the start. The way your audience uses your app will form the most demanded functionality. Starting with MVP (Minimum Viable Product) is a good choice to enter the market and receive the first real feedback from your users.
Consider screen sizes when programming your app for iOS or Android. Will the app be used only on smartphones or tablets as well? Analyze the market and provide the users what they missed in previous educational apps. The new concept, idea, or approach that will make the life of your users better is the key to your success.
About the author
Hello! My name is Valentina and I am an IT writer at IDAP. In my articles, you can read about the most interesting search requests about IT world.