Motion Math: Hungry Fish, by Motion Math, is a fabulous learning game! Mental math is such a key component for success in building a strong foundation in math, and building on this early on helps all other math concepts fall into place with relative ease. Our students were enthralled by this simple, yet brilliant game - and they were polishing up on their number skills with smiles on their faces! Brilliant job Motion Math! Now, can you add multiplication and division practice too? *NOTE: The developer just let us know that new Hungry Fish levels are coming soon!
Jacob Klein explained in an email, that this app features instant addition – bring two numbers together and they'll merge and add. This metaphor of bringing elements together helps make symbolic addition more concrete. Also, most addition apps and worksheets ask problems in the form of 3 + 4 = ?; Hungry Fish requires learners to find the different ways to make a 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+2+2, etc.). So EXCELLENT! And it's FREE! There are in-app purchases for additional levels, but - they never get in the way, no blatant ads in your face.
Recently, this app was used in a study, in the first experiment ever to study an iPad app, and was shown to help improve student knowledge and attitudes. ABC7 recently covered the study here. This is exciting news and validates that kids can learn and have fun all at the same time. Our students loved when they were rewarded with the option to customize their very own fish!
• Intuitive gameplay to practice mental arithmetic.
• Beautiful graphics by Emilia Forstreuter.
• Instant addition: the metaphor of bringing elements together helps learners master the addition of symbolic numbers.
• 18 levels of difficulty – challenging for 4-year-olds all the way up to adults.
• Fun rewards: let you customize your fish with new colors and fins.
• Addition level is free-to-try; In-App purchase buys Subtraction and Negative Number levels.
• To develop fast, agile mental arithmetic
• To learn there are multiple paths to add up to every sum
• To build automaticity in adding and subtracting positive and negative integers
"Motion Math creates fun mobile learning games that let kids play with numbers. Our engaging game suite helps children master math's foundations – we turn screen time into learning time!"