LetterSchool, by Sanoma Media Netherlands B.V., has been getting lots of accolades from just about everyone, including us! This is a spectacular app for implementing and practicing fine motor skills, and for beginning the process of building a strong foundation for reading and math readiness skills.
Their slogan, LetterSchool Makes Handwriting Cool! definitely, lives up to its proclamation. The surprise factor and the variety this app offers for each and every upper and lowercase letter, as well as number, keeps children engaged and active participants for long periods of time. When we field-tested this app, we had to struggle to get our iPads back from the students. They kept insisting, "Just one more, PLEASE!"
This is an outstanding application. We love the clear, concise and eye-appealing visuals. We also appreciate what a powerful tool this one stand-alone app is when putting in the hands of a child!
INTRO - discover the letter’s shape, name, and sound
TAP - learn where to start, change direction and finish by tapping the dots
TRACE - learn the letter trajectory by tracing it
WRITE - test your knowledge by writing from memory
Children learn and improve the following skills:
- how to write upper and lowercase letters, as well as, numbers
- manuscript handwriting style
- counting to 10
- eye-hand coordination
- the foundations of literacy and numeracy
- two challenging levels for twice the fun and twice the practice
- impressive free-form writing at an advanced level
- highly effective visual and auditory feedback
- stunning graphics, exciting effects, and sleek animations
- characters at maximum scale regardless of device orientation
- choice out of three most popular typefaces in handwriting education
- scorekeeping: star tokens and self-written characters in the menu
- progress and settings stored for up to three players