The Hundred Board is a fun and educational exercise found in the Montessori classroom to help children with their counting from 1 to 100. The board and number tiles in the app are exact replicas of the classic classroom materials. The basic task is to transfer the scrambled number tiles on the right-hand side to the board in the correct order.
- Assemble the Hundred Board in sequence by either touching the next required number or by dragging it to the correct position.
- Simplify the task with an activity that shows a reduced number of scrambled tiles to search through.
- Assemble the Hundred Board in a random fashion.
- Assemble the Hundred Board in sequence by Evens or Odds.
- If required, see control numbers on the board as a memory aid.
- Every number can be heard aloud when it is placed into position, reinforcing the name of each number for the child.
- At the bottom of the screen, there is either a score or a timer for parents and teachers to evaluate a child's progress.
- The app is auto-correcting, only allowing the correct number to be placed into each position.
Previously, to assemble the Hundred Board, one simply touched the correct number in the sequence and it automatically transferred to the correct position on the board. Though this method has proved very effective in capturing a child's attention, in response to several requests by educators, this update includes the ability to drag and place the number tiles onto the board by hand. When the tile reaches the correct position, it snaps into place and the number can be heard aloud.
This update also includes the ability to assemble the Hundred Board by hand in a random fashion. Though the traditional format is to assemble it in sequence, doing so randomly can help children recognize number patterns, assisting in their understanding of quantity and sequence.
The Hundred Board is now promoted by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership as an effective app for learning number sequencing techniques. One customer commented, "This looks very simple, but, you'd be surprised how engrossing the children find this lesson to be. I've watched our five-year-old daughter spend over an hour working with it, trying to get to a hundred!"
This activity is a time-tested, teaching tool used in the Montessori classroom that children enjoy doing. The app was co-developed and approved by an AMI certified Montessori teacher with over forty years experience. This app can be used as a complement to a child's classroom education and as a follow-up to the other Montessori apps in the App Store teaching introductory counting.
Mobile Montessori is creators of Montessori-inspired, educational apps for Apple products. It was founded by the Wickremasinghe family in 2009. They have published over 80 educational apps for the Apple iPad that are currently used by school systems in the Untied States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Australia. The app designs are simple and uncluttered, focusing on the academic tasks at hand. Several Mobile Montessori apps have been found to be very effective with special needs children. By continually publishing new apps and updates, Mobile Montessori is dedicated to providing quality educational apps for children. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2014 Mobile Montessori. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.