Space Math Hero by the Swedish company inFocusmedia is a math application that offers practice sessions & quizzes using the basic arithmetic operations for whole numbers - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Space Math Hero is a multilingual application & can be deployed in English & Swedish. Its content is basically for students in grades 1-4. Space Math Hero provides practice & quizzes for addition and subtraction within 1,000, and multiplication and division within 100.
What I love about this application is its implementation: the practice process is simple, detail-focused and effective, without distractions, when, on the other hand, quizzes are designed as an interesting game, with colorful illustrations.
The way application is designed is very useful for kids’ learning process: after the practice session, a student is able to evaluate knowledge through quizzes by playing the game. On opening, choose what you wish to do: to play or to practice. The practice page allows:
- to select an operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division);
- to choose from one of the two practice forms: consecutive (from simplest equations to more complex ones), or random (i.e. randomly chosen equations that cover the whole spectrum of acquired knowledge);
- to select one of the 12 tables (from 1 through 12): table number defines the second operand in the equation (i.e., table 3 chosen for subtraction, means that the subtrahend will be equal 3 in all examples).
The play page offers a math game: a student “fights for the survival of the 10 planets where evil math monsters attempting to destroy the Universe”. To save the Universe, one has to go through 10 levels with 12 math quizzes for the level. The level with some wrong answers could be replayed. When the play is finished the whole scope of the practice, offered by Space Math Hero, is covered.
- 3 different difficulty levels, Ages 5-10, 7-12, 10-15
- More than 6,000 problems to solve
- Fun and stylish game that encourages learning
- Save results and levels and switch freely between players
- Built-in instructions
- Structured and progressive difficulty levels
- Problems include pairs of 10 and pairs of 100
- Custom fraction and percentage challenges for mental arithmetic
- Easy decimal problems suited for mental arithmetic
- Individual score system with unlimited ability to improve your results
Space Math Hero is highly recommended and is a TWA pick because of its clear, short & well-balanced presentation, its ability to teach kids & to evaluate the learning process
Tatyana Belyavskaya graduated from St. Petersburg State University with an M.S. in statistics. She also earned her Ph.D. in Operations Research from the same university. Tatyana taught programming, statistics and numerical methods in Telecommunications University, St. Petersburg, Russia for more than 20 years. She moved with her family to the USA in 1991. Over the next 20 years, Tatyana was a software engineer, a Web designer, a database administrator, and an information systems analyst. Prompted by their grandkids’ math questions and problems, Tatyana and her husband, a software developer, decided to reach more children and help them master basic math skills. They founded the company Bel Math Apps and published a few tablet, phone and desktop applications for arithmetic practice. Tatyana’s hobby is the history of the world and the human civilization.