What’s Your Brand of Common Core Change? There’s much talk of transforming teacher practice. Along with that is a discourse on how different the internationally benchmarked Common Core standards are from standards States have used in the past. With that being said, I wonder, what brand of change do we collectively believe needs to occur–traditional, transitional or transformational? Most likely we’d agree on transformational, but are our actions truly transformational? Consider these questions as you examine the types of changes below:
- What is your motivation for change? To be better, fix a problem or for breaking through beyond the typical results?
- To what degree do you want to see change occur? To move from old to new or to accomplish something revolutionary?
- Has your mindset shifted? Did it need to shift? And how are you sure of either?
- Will your actions lead to whole-system/structural changes (within your school or district)?
- Do you believe your change will lead you to an ending destination or is it ongoing?
- Does change involve professional development and no consistent coaching?
- Are your outcomes sustainable? How do you know?